The General and Inorganic Chemistry, students have listen since establishment of the Department of Pharmacy, within Faculty of Medicine in Belgrade (1939).
Teaching General and Inorganic Chemistry, only theorethical at the beginning, were hold within the existing Institute of Chemistry at the University School of Medicine. Teaching hours of theory that has changed from 3 to 5 hours per week (1939-1941 ). In the period from 1941 to 1944. classes were canceled at the University of Belgrade, thus the pharmaceutical department.
When the Department of Pharmacy at the University School of Medicine became Faculty of Pharmacy in 1946. the Institute of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry was formed. Special thanks to the establishment of the Institute is Dr Petar Matavulj, professor of chemistry at the University School of Medicine, who was also the first director of the newly formed Institute. The next headmaster was Radivoje Živadinović, which is also defined as assistant professor of inorganic chemistry . Radivoje Živadinović is the first full-time teacher of Inorganic Chemistry of the establishment of the Faculty of Pharmacy .
Institute of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry grew into two separate institute in 1974, so that year can practically be considered as the year of the establishment of the independent Institute of General and Inorganic Chemistry. The first director of the Institute of General and Inorganic Chemistry was prof. dr Zagorka Filipović, and then follow prof. dr Anđelija Stefanović (1976-1984), prof. dr Miroslav Bresjanac (1984-1993), prof. dr Zagorka Korićanac (1993-2003) and prof. dr Tatijana Jovanović.
Institute of General and Inorganic Chemistry from the establishment (1974 ) was located on the fourth floor of the Pathology Institute of the University School of Medicine. The Institute of General and Inorganic Chemistry is located on the ground floor of the new building of the Faculty of Pharmacy built in 1991. It has room for student practical classes, capacity for 24 students, laboratories for scientific research and studies for teachers and assistants. By the constitution of Faculty of Pharmacy from 1998. it was recognized as Institute for General and inorganic Chemistry and since 2010. it changed in the Department of General and Inorganic Chemistry. New subject - Chemistry of Solutions was introduced in 2007. as an elective within the Department of General and Inorganic Chemistry, Integrated academic studies Pharmacy.
The first final work was defended in 1994., and the total number of graduate and final works defended at the Department is 754.