Jelena Kotur-Stеvuljević, PhD
Position: Full Professor
Organizational unit: Department for Medical Biochemistry
Adress: Vojvode Stepe 450, 11221 Belgrade, Serbia
Phone: +381 11 3951-272
Fax: +381 11 3972-840
Jelena Kotur-Stevuljević was born in 1969 in Smederevo, Serbia. At the Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Belgrade, she graduated in March 1995. Master thesis entitled: "Oxidative stress in the pathogenesis of indirect neurotrauma caused by pulmonary blast injury" defended in 2000. PhD thesis titled "Paraoxonase 1 polymorphism in patients with angiographically proven coronary artery disease" defended in 2007., at the Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Belgrade. She was at the post-doctoral training, Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia (June -September 2011 and January-April 2012.).
She has published a total of 39 scientific papers and 84 presentations at international and national conferences. These works are, according to the reference index base Scopus been cited 287 times, without auto-citations. She was a reviewer of several international journals.
Within the scientific activities she has participated in various studies related to the field of medical biochemistry and oxidative stress in atherosclerosis. In the previous project cycles, she was a contributor to several projects in the field of basic research funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development Republic of Serbia. From the 2002- 2005. she was a collaborator on the project entitled: „Genetic polymorphisms of proteins and other biomolecules as a risk factor for the development of atherosclerosis and other diseases“, funded by the Ministry of Science and Environmental Protection of the Republic of Serbia. In the period 2006. – 2010. she was a collaborator on the project „Investigation of biochemical and genetic risk factors as causes and markers of atherosclerosis and other diseases: Analytical and clinical aspects, funded by the Ministry of Science, Republic of Serbia. Since 2011. year she is a contributor of the project of basic research, "Interactive role of dyslipidemia, oxidative stress and inflammation in atherosclerosis and other diseases: genetic and biochemical markers" funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of Republic of Serbia.
She participates in several international projects: European research program COST (European Cooperation in Science and Technology), Scientific Domain: Biomedicine and Molecular Biosciences; Action: Lipid Peroxidation Associated Disorders: LPO (B35) for the period 2008-2011, then „HDL: From Biological Understanding to Clinical Exploitation" (BM0904 ) for the period of 2010 and further, and CEEPUS III project (Central European Exchange Program for University Studies) project: CIII - HR -0611 -02- 1213 – „Novel diagnostic and therapeutic approaches to complex genetic disorders“.
- Kotur-Stevuljevic J, Peco-Antic A, Spasic S, Stefanovic A, Paripovic D, Kostic M, Vasic D, Vujovic A, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Kornic-Ristovski D. Hyperlipidemia, oxidative stress, and intima media thickness in children with chronic kidney disease. Ped Neph 2013; 28 (2): 295-303.
- Kotur-Stevuljevic J, Simic-Ogrizovic S, Dopsaj V, Stefanovic A, Vujovic A, Ivanic-Corlomanovic T, Spasic S, Kalimanovska-Spasojevic V, Jelic-Ivanovic Z. A hazardous link between malnutrition, inflammation and oxidative stress in renal patients. Clin Biochem 2012; 45:1202-1205.
- Martinovic J, Kotur-Stevuljevic J, Dopsaj V, Dopsaj M, Stefanovic A, Kasum G. Paraoxonase activity in athletes with depleted iron stores and iron-deficient erythropoiesis. Clin Biochem, Oct 2010; 43(15): 1225-9.
- Stefanovic A, Kotur-Stevuljevic J, Spasic S, Vekic J, Zeljkovic A, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Jelic-Ivanovic Z. HDL 2 particles are associated with hyperglycaemia, lower PON1 activity and oxidative stress in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. Clin Biochem, Oct 2010; 43(15): 1230-5.
- Rizzo M, Kotur-Stevuljevic J, Berneis K, Spinas G, Rini GB, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Vekic J. Atherogenic dyslipidemia and oxidative stress: a new look. Translational Research 2009; 153(5): 217-223.
- Stefanović A, Kotur-Stevuljević J, Spasić S, Vekić J, Bujišić N. Association of oxidative stress and paraoxonase status with PROCAM risk score. Clin Biochem 2009; 42: 617-623.
- Kotur-Stevuljević J, Spasić S, Jelić-Ivanović Z, Spasojević-Kalimanovska V, Stefanović A, Vujović A, Memon L, Kalimanovska-Oštrić D. PON1 status is influenced by oxidative stress and inflammation in coronary heart disease patients. Clin Biochem 2008; 41: 1067-1073.
- Kotur-Stevuljević J, Memon L, Stefanović A, Spasić S, Spasojević-Kalimanovska V, Bogavac-Stanojević N, Kalimanovska-Oštrić D, Jelić-Ivanović Z, Žunić G. Correlation of oxidative stress parameters and inflammatory markers in coronary artery disease patients. Clin Biochem 2007; 40: 181-187.
- Vekic J, Kotur-Stevuljevic J, Jelic-Ivanovic Z, Spasic S, Spasojevic-Kalimanovska V, Topic A, Zeljkovic A, Stefanovic A, Zunic G. Association of oxidative stress and PON1 with LDL and HDL particle size in middle-aged subjects. Eur J Clin Invest 2007; 37: 715-723.
- Kotur-Stevuljević J, Spasić S, Stefanović A, Zeljković A, Stanojević-Bogavac A, Kalimanovska-Oštrić D, Spasojević-Kalimanovska D, Jelić-Ivanović Z. Paraoxonase-1 (PON1) activity, but not PON1 Q192R phenotype, is a predictor of coronary artery disease in a middle-ageed Serbian population. Clin Chem Lab Med 2006; 44(10): 1106-1113.