Bojan Čalija, PhD
Position: Associate Professor
Organizational unit: Department of Pharmaceutical Technology and Cosmetology
Address: V. Stepe 450, 11221 Belgrade, Serbia
Phone: +381 11 3951-363
Fax: +381 11 3972-840
Bojan Čalija was born on 20.09.1982 in Sarajevo. He completed gymnasium in Trebinje in 2001 and graduated at the University in Belgrade – Faculty of Pharmacy in 2007. In 2013 he received his PhD in Pharmaceutical technology at the University of Belgrade – Faculty of pharmacy with PhD thesis entitled: “Functionality of chitosans in formulation of alginate-chitosan microparticles as carriers for nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs”.
He completed postgraduate academic specialist studies in Industrial Pharmacy at the University of Belgrade - Faculty of Pharmacy in 2015.
In 2009 he was guest researcher at Department of Pharmaceutical Technology at University of Technology Carolo-Wilhelmina in Braunschweig, Germany, as DAAD scholar within program: „Research experience in Germany for students and graduates from Serbia“.
Since 2007 he is employed at the Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Belgrade as: teaching associate (2007−2008), teaching assistant (2008-2014), and assistant professor (from 2014 – to date) at the Department of Pharmaceutical Technology and Cosmetology. His teaching activities are involved in the integrated academic studies for Pharmaceutical Technology 1, Pharmaceutical technology 2 and Industrial Pharmacy (mandatory courses), Novel pharmaceutical dosage forms (elective course), as well as in specialization and doctoral studies in Pharmaceutical Technology and specialist academy studies in Industrial Pharmacy.
From 2008 to 2010 he was engaged in the project of technological development: „Development and characterization of colloidal carriers for nonsteroidal antinflammatory drugs“ funded by Ministry of Science and Technological Development of Republic of Serbia. From 2011 Bojan Čalija participates on the projects of technological development: „Development and characterization of micro and nano drug delivery systems for nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs“ and basic research project: „Synthesis of molecules with antiinflammatory and cardioprotective activity: structural modifications, modeling, physicochemical characterization and formulational investigation.“ both funded by Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of Republic of Serbia. From 2010 until 2012 he was engaged on Tempus project: „Postgraduate Qualification in Pharmacy - The Way Forward“.
Bojan Čalija is the author or the coauthor of more than 130 scientific papers, professional papers and short communications papers. He is a reviewer in more than 25 international journals.
He is the coauthor of one textbook in the field of Pharmaceutical Technology, one workbook and one multimedia publication in the field of Industrial Pharmacy.
- Čalija B, Milić J, Milašinović N, Daković A, Trifković K, Stojanović J, Krajišnik D. Functionality of chitosan- halloysite nanocomposite films for sustained delivery of antibiotics: the effect of chitosan molar mass. 2020; 137(8), 48406; doi: 10.1002/app.48406
- Čalija B (Editor). Microsized and Nanosized Carriers for Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs: Potential benefits and challenges. Elsevier, Cambridge, MA, USA. 2017. (ISBN:
9780128040171). pp. 1-272.
- Janićijević J, Milić J, Čalija B, Micov A, Stepanović-Petrović R, Tomić M, Daković A, Dobrićić V, Nedić Vasiljević B, Krajišnik D. Potentiation of ibuprofen antihyperalgesic effect using inorganically functionalized diatomite. J. Mater. Chem. B, 2018; doi:10.1039/C8TB01376D
- Djekic L, Krajisnik D, Micic Z, Čalija B. Formulation and physicochemical characterization of hydrogels with 18β-glycyrrhetinic acid/phospholipid complex phytosomes. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2016; 35: 81-90 (doi:10.1016/j.jddst.2016.06.008)
- Milašinović N, Čalija B, Vidović B, Crevar Sakač M, Vujić Z, Knežević-Jugović Z. Sustained release of α-lipoic acid from chitosan microbeads synthetized by inverse emulsion method. J Taiwan Inst Chem E. 2016; 60:106-112 (doi:10.1016/j.jtice.2015.10.037).
- Janićijević J, Krajišnik D, Čalija B, Nedić Vasiljević B, Dobričić V, Daković A, Antonijević M, Milić J. Modified local diatomite as potential functional drug carrier - a model study for diclofenac sodium. Int. J. Pharm. 2015; 496(2):466-474 (doi: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2015.10.047).
- Čalija B, Cekić N, Milić J. Chitosan-based polyelectrolyte complexes: characteristics and application in formulation of particulate drug carriers. In: A. Tiwari, H. K. Patra and and J.-W. Choi, eds.Advanced Theranostics Materials. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA. 2015. 235-270. (ISBN: 978-1-118-99829-8; doi: 10.1002/9781118998922.ch9)
- Čalija B, Savić S, Krajišnik D, Daniels R, Vučen S, Marković B, Milić J. pH-sensitive polyelectrolyte films derived from submicron chitosan/Eudragit® L 100-55 complexes: physicochemical characterization and in vitro drug release. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 2015; doi: 10.1002/app.42583.
- Čalija B, Cekić N, Savić S, Daniels R, Marković B, Milić J. pH-sensitive microparticles for oral drug delivery based on alginate/oligochitosan/Eudragit® L100-55 "sandwich" polyelectrolyte complex. Colloid. Surface B. 2013; 110:395-402; doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2013.05.016.
- Janićijević J, Krajišnik D, Čalija B, Dobričić V, Daković A, Krstić J, Marković M, Milić J. Inorganically modified diatomite as a potential prolonged-release drug carrier. Mat. Sci. Eng. C-Bio. S. 2014; 42:412-420; doi: 10.1016/j.msec.2014.05.052
- Čalija B, Milić J, Cekić N, Krajišnik D, Daniels R, Savić S. Chitosan oligosaccharide as prospective crosslinking agent for naproxen-loaded Ca-alginate microparticles with improved pH-sensitivity. Drug. Dev. Ind. Pharm. 2013; 39(1):77-88; doi: 10.3109/03639045.2012.658813
- Čalija B, Cekić N, Savić S, Krajišnik D, Daniels R, Milić J. An investigation of formulation factors affecting feasibility of alginate-chitosan microparticles for oral delivery of naproxen. Arch. Pharm. Res. 2011; 34(6):919-929; doi: 10.1007/s12272-011-0609-y.