Branislava Lakušić, PhD
Position: Full Professor
Organizational unit: Department of Botany
Address: Vojvode Stepe 450, 11221 Belgrade, Serbia
Room: B, 1st floor
Phone: +381 11 3951-303
Fax: +381 11 3972-840
Branislava (Todorović) Lakušić finished primary and secondary school in Belgrade. She graduated from the University of Belgrade, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Department of Biology, in 1984. At the same university, in 1989, she defended her M.A. thesis entitled “Ecological and Physiological Studies of Endemic Relict Species Located in the Bay of Kotor Landscapes Satureja horvatii Šilić”. Her Ph.D. dissertation entitled “Morphological Variability and Ecological Differentiation of Species of the Genus Teucrium L. (Lamiaceae) in Yugoslavia” she defended in 2000 at the Faculty of Biology, University of Belgrade.
With a scholarship obtained in 1990 from the Serbian Ministry of Science, she joined the Jordell Laboratory of Royal Botanic Garden, Kew, London, and in 1991 she attended the “Short Course on Biology and Utilization of Aromatic and Medicinal Plants in the Mediterranean Basin”, Crete, Greece, ICAMAS project, as a scholar of the European Community. Since 1985 she has been employed at the Belgrade University Faculty of Pharmacy, Department of Botany. In 1990 she was elected for a Teaching Assistant, in 2001 for the Assistant Professor, in 2008 the Associate Professor and in 2015 she became the Full Professor.
Professor Lakusic teaches obligatory “Course of Botany” and an elective course entitled “Medicinal Plants and the Environment”, within the Study Program of Integrated Academic Studies in Pharmacy. She takes part in realization of doctoral studies in the module Pharmacognosy, in the following subjects: “Selected Chapters of Botany” and “Plant Ecology”. She participates in the specialization course of “Control and Application of Medicinal Plants”. Since 2013 she has been included in the realization of curricula - subject Botany, at the Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Bijeljina, Republic of Srpska. She also lectures in the Applied Ecology, at the Master Studies Program, Faculty of Biology, University of Belgrade.
She mentored about one hundred diploma graduation works and one doctoral thesis at the Faculty of Pharmacy. She participated in preparation/development works of a number of doctoral dissertations and was a member of Doctoral Dissertation Defense Committee and M.A. Theses at the Faculties of Pharmacy, Biology and Forestry, University of Belgrade.
Since 1985 she has been continuously engaged in 8 scientific research projects funded by the Serbian Ministry of Science. At the moment, she is taking part in the national project entitled “Investigation of the Medicinal Plant Potential: Morphological, Chemical and Pharmacological Characterization”.
Prof. Branislava Lakusic is a co-author of the supplemental handbook entitled “Medicinal Plants and the Environment”, and the Botany Practice Handbook for students of the Faculty of Pharmacy (first published in 1995), and four monographs of national importance. She has published more than 50 scientific papers, 9 of them in the prominent journals of international importance, 22 in the journals of international importance and 13 in the journals of national importance. She has had about 90 presentations at the national and international scientific meetings.
Research interests: The ecology, morphology and anatomy of the wild medicinal plants, nature and localization of secretory structures, micro-morphological structures important in the identification of medicinal plants. Biological and ecological functions of essential oils, essential oils variability depending on environmental factors.
- Lakušić D, Ristić M, Slavkovska V, Lakušić B.: Seasonal Variations in the Composition of the Essential Oils of Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis, Lamiaceae), Natural product communications, (2013), 8(1): 131-134.
- Marčetić M, Lakušić B, Lakušić D, Kovačević N.: Variability of the Root Essential Oils of Seseli rigidum Waldst. & Kit. (Apiaceae) from Different Populations in Serbia, Chemistry & Biodiversity, (2013), 10(9): 1653-1666.
- Lakušić B, Ristić M, Slavkovska V, Stojanović D, Lakušić D.: Variations in essential oil yields and compositions of Salvia officinalis (Lamiaceae) at different developmental stages, Botanica Serbica, (2013), 37(2): 127-139.
- Lakušić D, Ristić M, Slavkovska V, Šinžar-Sekulić J, Lakušić B.: Environmental-related Variations of the Composition of the Essential oils of Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis l.) from the Balkan Penninsula, Chemistry & Biodiversity, (2012), 9(7): 1286-1302.
- Lakušić B, Ristić M, Slavkovska V, Milenković M, Lakušić D.: Environmental and Seasonal Impacts on Chemical Composition of Essential Oils from Satureja horvatii Silić (Lamiaceae), Chemistry & Biodiversity, (2011), 8: 483-193.
- Lakušić B, Lakušić D.: Anatomy of four taxa of the Genus Juniperus sect. Juniperus (Cupressaceae) from the Balkan peninsula, Botanica Serbica, (2011), 35(2): 145-156.
- Lakušić, B, Stevanović B, Jančić R, Lakušić D.: Habitat-related adaptations in morphology and anatomy of Teucrium (Lamiaceae) species from the Balkan peninsula (Serbia and Montenegro), Flora, (2010), 205: 633–646.
- Lakušić B, Popov V, Runjajić-Antić D.: Morpho-anatomical characteristics of the raw material of the herbal drug Olivae folium and its counterfeits, Arch. Biol. Sci. (Belgrade), (2007), 59(3): 187-192.
- Lakušić B, Lakušić D, Jančić R, Stevanović B.: Morpho-anatomical differentiation of the Balkan populations of the species Teucrium flavum L. (Lamiaceae), Flora, (2006), 201(2): 108-119.
- Todorović B, Stevanović B.: Adaptive characteristics of endemic species Satureja horvatii Šilić (Lamiaceae) in mountain-mediterranean and mediterranean habitat conditions, Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society, (1994), 114(4): 367-376.